Search This Blog

Wednesday, 18 January 2017

Free Fallin'



It's cold and wet but it feels good on the bike today.  The legs and pedals are turning over nicely and in a very satisfying rhythm.  I do a couple of laps of the estate to add further distance on to the ride today.  I'm going to keep going to really extend my longest ride.  It feels fresh to alter the route so I take a turn off the cycle path and onto a wooden track that will take me up to the fancy New Hall Hotel.  

The wooden track makes a nice rickety sound under the wheels but I'm going to need to break for these sharp left turn.  Oooh, that's a funny sound from below.  Hang on this doesn't feel right.  The bike skids and then with a mind of it's own like a reluctant racehorse ejecting its jockey it goes sliding to the left.  I hit the ground with a thud but the wet conditions result in me sliding head first along the path like a cartoon character on an iced over lake.  Hmmm, first thing I check is my new Garmin watch that my wonderful wife got me for Christmas.  It's okay.  Surprisingly I don't feel hurt in any way. I obviously have a fresh graze on my knee as I can feel it sticking to the inside of my trouser leg.  In actual fact I quite enjoyed the fall.  I feel quite a rush and a bit of a thrill; now where's my bike.  I retrieve my normally reliable chariot from the nearby ditch.  Quickly I prepare to set off again and not add wasted time to my record of the ride.  Hang on though the back wheel is not doing anything and making an unpleasant chunking noise.  Looks like I'm not riding anywhere and I'm stranded.  Better phone my dad . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment