Search This Blog

Monday, 2 October 2017

Back To Life





Finally!!! Back to work I went. There are two indisputable  highlights from going back to work. 

The first is undoubtedly the kids. Smiling faces, interesting conversation and the thrill of achievement  when you help them. You can’t beat it and never will. When children at school can’t contain that they are pleased to see you then you know it is genuine. When children at school punch the air with delight when you tell them you will see them on Wednesday then that is the truest of compliments. And when a children school runs up to you and grab you with both arms around you like a boa constrictor squeezing the life out of it’s prey then between your gasps for air you know you have done something right and that this is why you came back and this is where you should be. The children blew away any anxiety that festered before I walked through the classroom door and showed me what I’d been missing for three months and why there is no better place for me to be during the working day. 

The second highlight is that going back to work draws definitive a line under the fast few months. I’m no long naive enough to think that there may not be nasty surprises and set backs around the corner or that there will be more peaks and troughs on the horizon.  It going back to school is a clear sign that for now it’s over. Back to ‘normal’ and as far removed from cancer as can be. That bit has been overcome. I’ve hurdled that barrier and for now I can stand at the finish line and take in what is around me, what I enjoy and the people I love. I can’t control what will happen in the future, whatever will be will be, but for now I can switch off and think about something different. I’m back at work, I’m back in a familiar routine, I’m getting back to where I was before so two fingers to cancer and onwards and upwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment